The Hopi name is Wupatupqa.
Also known as Walnut Canyon National Monument, it is the place, about 10 miles southwest of Flagstaff, Arizona, where 900 years ago the Sinagua people lived in at least 25 dwelling rooms along the cliffs of Walnut Canyon, carved out by a sharp shoe lace shaped looping of Walnut Creek.
A closer look at the canyon “island”, as one walks down a steep path towards it from the visitor center:
The canyon, as one turns towards the right, when facing the “island” from the aproach.
Cross canyon closer view of one of the dwellings, situated under the cliff overhang, with what is left of the human made walls clearly visible.
Starting the long looping path around the center canyon “island”.
A look back up at the visitor center.
Sadly, before there was a designated Walnut Canyon National Monument, 19th century visitors broke holes into many dwelling walls and plundered many artifacts.
The cliff dwelling heyday of this settlement lasted between 100 and 150 years until approx. 1250 AD.
After completing the loop we climbed back up to the visitor center.
The outdoor museum exhibit and visitor center were built in part by the Civilian Conservation Corps established by FDR’s New Deal efforts during the Great Depression.
We then walked along the canyon rim off left of the visitor center.